As we continue to navigate our way through new and unchartered waters, I wanted to touch base to share some of the support initiatives we are currently offering to our clubs. Please feel free to share this email within your club.
Stay in, Stay Well Series
We recognise that it’s important to stay motivated and engaged while we are out of the water over the next few weeks. We have listened to your feedback and requests, and are delighted to launch our Stay in, Stay Well Series running throughout the month of November with FREE live webinars suitable for all clubs members, now open for booking on the Events and Courses page on https://swimireland.azolve.com/Workbench.mvc/Show/6 Places are limited so early booking is advised!!
- Maintaining that Champion Mindset – Wednesday 4th November @ 17:30 with Jessie Barr, Sport Psychologist
- Nutrition to keep you in the pool – Wednesday 11th November @ 19:30 with Laura Mahony, Performance Nutritionist and Registered Dietitian
- Practical Snack Ideas – Thursday 12th November @ 19:30 with Laura Mahony, Performance Nutritionist and Registered Dietitian
- Let’s get moving, mobility & stability – Wednesday 18th November @ 18:30 with Sarah Jane McDonnell, Head of Rehabilitation (Sport Ireland Institute)
Pound the Pavements Club Challenge
As you will have seen on our social media we are running a weekly Club Challenge from 26th October – 29th November. We are asking clubs to keep active by walking, running or cycling and clock up their kilometres using the club function on Strava. Just a couple of tips and pointers for clubs taking part:
- This is a weekly challenge so you can start at any time
- Please send your weekly club km total along with a screenshot of your leader board to firstname.lastname@example.org each Monday by 12pm for the previous week (Monday-Sunday). We will post the weekly totals to social media each Monday afternoon
- Please remind your members to adhere to the rule of the roads and be mindful of their personal safety (i.e. not walking alone), encourage the wearing of high visibility clothing. Please note club insurance does not extend to cover individuals exercising on their own. Activities organised and supervised by clubs are covered under the Swim Ireland insurance policy (i.e. pods of 15 school children exercising outdoors, with a qualified coach and COVID-19 Officer/ Person in Charge on duty)
- It is recommended that parents/ carers set up an account in their names/ emails for under 18’s
- Top tip – log your walks as runs on Strava so they get logged in your weekly total!
- Finally, we love sharing photos on our social media but please do ensure social distancing measures are adhered to
Virtual Webinars, CPD’S and courses
We have a packed calendar planned for November so do check out the Events and Courses page on https://swimireland.azolve.com/Workbench.mvc/Show/6
Just a reminder to Coaches and Teachers that you need to accumulate 6 CPD points annually for their license. There is a wide variety of topics and many are free of charge, so hopefully there will be something to pique your interest this month, taster below:
- Membership Database Workshop for club and membership secretaries – 3rd November @ 19:30 or 6th November @ 11:00
- Virtual CPD: Getting our Head’s Together – 11th November @ 19:00
- PRO Forum for club PRO’s and anyone who manages their club’s social media – 12th November @ 19:00
- Virtual CPD: Sport Science and Sport Medicine – 24th November @ 15:00
The Club Support Officers and Development Pathway Coaches are currently working through a series of meetings with Head Coaches and Chairpersons from Junior Swimming clubs to seek guidance on the support clubs need and would like to see. Thank you to everyone who has participated so far, your input in greatly appreciated and valued. The Discipline Support Manager and National Water Polo Committee are hosting a meeting on Thursday 5th November at 7pm on the Club Support Programme for this season. Once these are completed we will then engage with Diving and Masters clubs. If you have any queries on any of these meeting please do not hesitate to get in touch with your club support officer.
Did you know we have an extensive video library of resources now available the Swim Ireland YouTube Channel?
- Clubs and Community Tutorials
- Short Films
- #WEPLAY Online Series
- Home Workouts with Paul Talty and Bethany Carson
Finally, thank you to our club volunteers who have worked tirelessly over the last 8 weeks to complete club affiliation, we do understand that this has been a challenging time. Your support ensures that we can continue to provide the initiatives outlined above, we can continue to raise and address your concerns at Government level and seek much needed funding for our sport.
Aisling Mc Keever